The NYS Office of Children and Family Services requires that all child care programs that choose to administer medication to children in a child care setting, with the exception of over-the-counter topical ointments, sunscreen and topically applied insect repellent must:
- Successfully complete the Office of Children and Family Services approved Medication Administration Training (MAT) Course. Providers may be eligible for a rebate from the state – rebate form below.
- Have a Health Care Consultant of record who must approve the child care program’s health care plan
- Have an Office of Children and Family Services approved Health Care Plan with a policy for the administration of medication
The Health Care Consultant Service includes:
- Assistance in developing a health care plan that reflects the specific needs of the program and meets best practice standards
- Supplemental resource & reference materials
- Review and approval of the entire health care plan and other documents related to the program’s medication administration policy
- Assistance with developing medication procedures for your site
- At least one site visit with follow-up consultation
The Child Care Council of Orange County provides a Health Care Consultant to assist with these regulations. Call Jennifer Warm, RN at (914) 400-6623 or email her at email@example.com for technical assistance on the administration of medication training or your health care plan.